Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Theatre Review: Road Movie

Road Movie

Written by Godfrey Hamilton and performed by Mark Pinkosh



Starving Artists
Library Theatre Company, until 22 May 2010

Reviewed by Paul Kane


The words you remember are 'I want a cure and I want my friends back' and they are spoken by Joel, Mark Pinosh's principal heteronym. Although a monologue, Pinkosh brings to life myriad characters in turn, Joel being the sole abiding presence.

Pinkosh is electric on stage, his face intense and incredibly expressive, his arms animated and urgent, as he brings Joel and Scott's story fully to life. Faux-naif and faux vain, he was. Despairing and then joking, playing the audience for all he was worth.

Those who help us are human too - they have only the same resources we do, no more. One take-home message.

'I want a cure and I want my friends back.' Yes, but if only one wish could be granted, which would you choose?

Road Movie is showing at the Library Theatre in Manchester until 22nd May, as part of the Queer Up North festival.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home