Monday, November 03, 2008

Review: Get Closer: A Gay Man’s Guide to Intimacy

Get Closer
By Jeffrey N. Chernin

Published by Alyson

Reviewed by Richard Muller


Get Closer is a well written book about being in a relationship and how to make it work. It’s smart writing and states the blindingly obvious for those couples who may have to be reminded of the basics of keeping your man by your side… it takes work… constantly.

Really the whole book could be boiled down to one sentence: “ Talk to each other…”

Maybe this is why I am single, but I could practically feel my lip curling as I read through the exercises and questions. It all seemed so (with respect) American, and frankly if it’s this much hard work... is it worth it? But, if you decide it should be, or could be – and, for me, at the moment it’s not - and the simple advice “talk to each other” is not quiet help enough, then this is a good book to start with.

All the tasks the author gives you make sense and should be easy to do provided you have the patience. Personally, I don’t think I can. I would much rather be told
“It’s his fault – you are perfect, move on…”

But I have to admit on these cold nights perhaps I should study the book just a little harder in order to get at least a few of my brief encounters to stick around overnight – think of the saving on the heating bill…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home